PDN LIVE! April 2016

Rob Pincus and John Brown answer questions related to Fitness for Personal Defense during April’s PDN Live event. John Brown was one of PDN’s first contributors, is a former Navy Seal, owns and operates Crossfit Agoge with his Wife Kelly in Colorado and has been a educator in the tactical, self-defense and fitness world for over a decade. While Rob is well known for his defensive training, many people do not know that he is also a certified fitness coach and owner of Crossfit Endeavor in Ohio.

Questions ranged from the best exercises for those interested in self-defense to the best ways for those with physical limitations to train to protect themselves. Both Rob and John shared their philosophies on fitness training and which aspects they believed are most important to focus on. Several questions were specifically related to preparation for defensive shooting and activities that lend themselves well to work in or at home or on the range with minimal coaching or equipment.

Click here to sign up for our FREE weekly newsletter.

29 Responses to “PDN LIVE! April 2016”
  1. Elizabeth McKinney

Just bought first gun, what is the best distance to start personal defense target shooting?

• frosty

Three yards. Most gunfights are inside three yards, under three seconds, and less that three shots fired. Get all the training you can. Practice. Learn your Four Rules and keep safe!

• Lesa

Brilliant and simple idea (no wonder on this blog). The only thing I'd be quite scared of would be the plumbing tubes scratching the wall paing under heavier load of clo.hes…tor anyway.

2. higginska63

I’m into power walking & walk everyday to & from the train to get to work but haven’t been doing much for my upper body strength. I’m thinking push ups & free weights. Any suggestions?

• john brown

Push ups are a great starting point! My best recommendation is to start researching exercises for developing full body strength. CrossFit.com is a phenomenal resource that was mentioned during the live show.

3. John Hatton

During choosing ammunition for your carry or home defense firearm should you choose the specialized ammunition. Or will just good quality expanding hollowpoints work also?

4. John Hatton

Best fitting IWB for a guy like myself who has little extra in belly area.I am 5ft 8 inch weight about 220,,best way for my body type?

• john brown

Squats are a great exercise for everything. In fact, your capacity to squat or not will have a direct effect on your ability to maintain an independent life. People go to nursing homes because they can’t get up and move on their own. On the other side, your ability to express power at the hip joint will have a direct effect on your ability to run, jump, punch, and kick, so it is truly a great exercise for just being more human.

• john brown

I’m not sure what the “best” physical trait is for a shooter, but I can tell you that if you commit to an honest appraisal of your abilities, the most important one for you to hone is the one that you are weakest at.

• john brown

Rick, I have worked with several wheelchair bound folks. The answer is that not much changes. You need to find a way to potentiate what you have. Strive to become the best possible manifestation of yourself. http://crossfitwatchtower.com is a website that belongs to a friend of mine. Kevin was an elite level athlete who became a para-pelegic after an accident, he still trains harder than most human beings that I know and continues to try to reach his fullest potential.

5. CHARLES DEMLER

What exercise would you recommend for some with knee or shoulder replacements? thanks

• john brown

Charles,

I recommend the same exercises that we mentioned during the interview. Typically, the joints needed to be replaced because of undue strain on them either because of traumatic injury or because of muscle weakness, or imbalances that lead to compensatory movement patterns. If these things aren’t shored up, then there is a chance that the replacement treated the symptoms and not the cause. I’m not a doctor or a physical therapist, but getting the muscles around those joints stronger is never a bad call. That said, seek out a medical professional that understands your unique situation and can fill you in on limitations before you get started.

6. Treg

IThe athletic “square,” stance is common to shooting. Resistance training for athletic function and real-world situations you notice one leg stance exercises and also one arm resistance movements. Do you recommend resistance training in unilateral function?

7. Braden

I can still shoot and practice often as a CCW citizen. At 50, I have torn labrum and can’t really do heavy shoulder work and physical therapy had me using rubber bands for strengthening exercises. Can’t really fight, shoulders are done. Is there anything I can concentrate on for keeping fit for shooting?

8. Roger

What’s both of your opinions on Chuck Norris’ “Total Gym”? I’m 60 years old, and I’ve been using it faithfully since Jan 1 of this year, every other day for about 20-30 minutes, and I feel pretty good. I like it because you use your own body weight with the exercises.

9. Wes

I m 80years young. I carry a mod 19 357. Been thinking of going down to a Walther 380. Appreciate your comments.

10. DowntoEarthThinking.com

Staying fit and healthy are the precursors to self defense. Your mindset is the key to gaining any and all fitness or specific skills ! Once you understand these basics you will gain incredible confidence and it will build with your experience.

I am in eastern Oregon and teach all these methods. See the fitness page and Firearms page and you will see the results. I am all about results and nothing else ! PDN is on the right path !

No need for any hormones or pharma to be fit and strong at any age ! I am living proof. Nutrition is a key element. I have actually found a sort of fountain of youth.

11. Gary Falconer

Push ups, chin ups and a lot of cardio,u don’t need anything else IMO. Don’t go into overdrive tho. No wheigts,they’re useless.