PDN LIVE! April 2017

Rob Pincus spoke live from the new Cape Gun Works store and range in Massachusetts, and answered a plethora of questions about accessories for defensive firearms. Rob discussed the most important and popular accessories for both pistols and rifles, including sights, red dot optics, sling, magazine extensions, charging handles, lights, and lasers. Rob gave his opinions, based on having seen thousands of students with both good and bad gear over a couple of decades. He shared some “must haves”, some solid “could be a good ideas”, and a couple “probably not what you want” tips when it comes to his advice for upgrading and improving your defensive arsenal.

pdn-family-defense-strategies-banner-v1

34 Responses to “PDN LIVE! April 2017”
  1. Jaz

How do you feel about red dots on a home defense pistol? Also do you have any recommendations for an AR15 flash supressor / muzzle brake?

• Rob Pincus

I don’t get too into the whole brake thing… I find stock ones to work well enough. I have birdcages or the CMMG SV type on most of my go-to guns.

2. Dacid

Do you like the Tac Com or binary trigger from Franklin Armory or prefer a regular single stage like Timney or CMC style trigger in an AR platform?

• Rob Pincus

I like Stock or a very well proven traditional aftermarket without fancy adjustability (set screws, etc.).

• Rob Pincus

I’ve used SilencerCo more than anything else recently and they are outstanding.

• Rob Pincus

If you can identify a person at the opposite end of the longest hall of your home, you’re good.

• Rob Pincus

Formal Classes: RI, KS, NY.
      I also did a short session on the range in CT earlier today, but it was more an informal “comparing notes” with other instructors than it was a class.

3. jumina

I have a lasermax on my ruger LC9s. It works great when it is off the gun, but when I mount it, it acts like it has dirty contacts and I have to operate it many times to get it to work. What are my options?

• Rob Pincus

Viridian (2017 PDN Tour Sponsor) is what I have used for awhile. Crimson Trace would also be an alternative.

4. Brian

What are your thoughts on lasers on a carry gun, pros and cons and red vs. green? Thank you.

5. Maggie Mordaunt

Do you like a 2 point sling or a one point sling? Is it better to just have a light mounted on your Carbine or in your hand?

• Rob Pincus

Convertible, with the sling set up in Single Point mode, as discussed in the video.
      Handheld light as primary.

6. annie15

I carry an Ar-15 in my trunk always. I would like you to comment on any ideas that you have to affordably “chain” or “cable” it to a steel hole in the trunk. I am only trying to protect from a “smash and grab”. My gun is out of sight and no one knows it is in there. It there a ready to use product out there? I don’t wish to custom build something? Any thoughts?
    Annie
    Arizona, USA

• Rob Pincus

The cables that come with many portable safes aren’t anything special, just heavy wire cable. I’d go to Home Depot and get something that makes sense for your trunk, bolt it into the trunk and go from there.

7. John

What are your thoughts on aftermarket stippling and frame mods for handguns….agency or salient designs come to mind as an example.

8. Ed Smith

Your talking about iron sites with red dots and green dots etc. and it looks like the iron sites are on top of the devise instead of the original iron sites on the guns. Question are these iron sites on the devise or over the gun iron sites?